National Tourism Satellite Account
The Australian Tourism Satellite Account is
published each year and provides measures of Tourism Gross Value Added, Tourism
Gross Domestic Product, tourism employment and tourism trade. This enables
government and industry to compare the value of tourism with other industries
in the economy.
In 2018–19 tourism contributed to:
- Consumption of $152.0 billion
- Gross Domestic Product of $60.8 billion
- Employment of 666,000 persons
- Exports of $39.1 billion from international visitors to Australia
- Imports of $58.3 billion from Australian residents travelling overseas.
The national TSA is compiled by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) using an internationally accepted framework designed by the OECD and the UNWTO. More detailed tables can also be found on the ABS website.