Tourism Investment Monitor 2019–20
Abandoned projects are those that have exited the pipeline due to the investor choosing to permanently abandon the project.
Buildings primarily providing short-term or temporary accommodation on a commercial basis, including:
- self-contained, short-term apartments, for example serviced apartments
- hotels that mainly provide accommodation, motels and guest houses, boarding houses and cabins
- other short-term accommodation including migrant hostels, youth hostels and lodges.
Arts, recreation and business services
The arts, recreation and business services industry includes these entities:
- ‘heritage activities’ such as museum, parks and garden operations
- ‘creative and performing arts activities’ such as performing arts operations, creative artists, musicians, writers and performers, and performing art venue operations
- ‘sports and recreation activities’ such as
- health and fitness centre and gymnasium operations
- sports and physical recreation clubs and sports professionals
- sports and physical recreation venue, grounds and facilities operations
- sports and physical recreation administrative activities
- horse and dog racing administration and track operation
- other horse and dog racing activities
- amusement park and centre operations
- amusement and other recreational activities not elsewhere classified
- ‘gambling activities’ such as casino operation, lottery operation and other gaming activities
- ‘business services’ such as facilities to host conferences, conventions, or other business services.
National and international passenger and aircraft movements between domestic and international airports.
Deferred projects are those that have exited the pipeline due to the investor placing the project on hold. These projects may re-enter the pipeline at a later stage if the investor chooses to proceed with the project.
Includes the value of projects that have been submitted for approval. This includes:
- projects already under consideration
- projects with approval that have not yet commenced works
- other projects that have plans submitted to the local council or appropriate body.
Projects that are still possibilities or proposals at this stage. This includes projects that have not yet submitted council plans or have a project under council consideration.
The areas of a state or territory excluding its capital city tourism region.
Rooms available for accommodating short-term paying guests at each hotel and resort, motel, guest house, and serviced apartment during the survey period. Units, apartments and suites are treated as rooms for these types of establishments.
Refers to the sum of three Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) industry divisions. These are:
- Accommodation and food services
- Transport, postal and warehousing
- Arts and recreation services
These industries were selected due to their importance for tourism and the availability of information from published sources.
Includes the values of projects that have commenced building. A project will remain in this phase until its official opening.